Sports Psychology is "the science of psychology applied to
sport." Sport psychologists provide two major types of services:
- Performance enhancement
- Counseling for a variety of issues affecting the athlete.
Although not all athletes have access to a qualified sport
psychologist, much can be learned from the available research.
The most difficult part of a major competition for many
athletes is not the actual
event. The days, hours, and minutes leading up to the event are
usually the most problematic for athletes.
Here are some typical services provided by the
- Substance abuse management
- Eating disorders/weight management
- Relaxation training
- Motivational strategies
- Competitive pressure management
- Programs to cope with retirement from sport
For more info call 205 314 5063 or email
© Alabama Orthopaedic Institute- Birmingham